Even a careful driver can get involved in an accident. Dashcam is here to help you by recording everything in front of your car using the camera of your smartphone/tablet and even has the option of automatically saving the video in case of a car crash.
You can use Dashcam either in the navigation mode with a route created, and also with no route in the map browsing mode.
How to buy the Dashcam?
You can buy the Dashcam as an in-app purchase by following these quick steps (they are very similar to buying a Premium license from the app):
- Go to Menu → Sygic Store
- Select Dashcam
- Complete your purchase using one of the supported payment options.
You can also buy the Dashcam from our E-shop by following these steps:
- On the E-shop page, scroll down until you see Sygic's add-on features.
- Select the Dashcam by pressing "Add to cart"
- Complete the order by entering your personal information, selecting and using one of the offered Payment methods.
How to activate Dashcam?
Dashcam can be activated by Signing in to the app with your Sygic account.
How to use Dashcam?
Note: if your Android version is lower than 4.4.x, your device is no longer compatible with the latest Sygic app version, and your Dashcam will be slightly different. The article about the previous version of Dashcam can be still found using this link: Dashcam for versions < 17.7.0
- Launch the Dashcam feature from the quick menu - the three-dot button at the bottom right corner of the screen, by tapping on the Dashcam icon.
- A video preview screen will appear, and you start recording by tapping on the red circle in the bottom right corner.
- To stop recording, tap on the red square in the bottom right corner, which is there after Dashcam begins recording.
- To view and change the Dashcam settings, tap on the cogwheel icon in the top right corner.
- To exit the video preview screen and return to the map/navigation, tap on the back arrow in the top left corner. If Dashcam is recording, this will not interrupt the video.
Where is the recorded video?
The Dashcam makes video files of a certain length, in the Dashcam settings you can choose between 2, 5, 10, or 15 minutes of recording per each video file.
The last 3 recorded videos are automatically stored in the folder
DCIM/SygicDashcam/ in your device's internal storage. When a 4th video file starts recording, the oldest out of the 3 previously stored videos is automatically deleted, this is done to limit the amount of storage space that the Dashcam feature uses.
Example: if your videos are set for the default 5-minute length, then after exactly 15 minutes of using Dashcam there will be 3 recorded videos for times 0:00 to 05:00, 05:00 to 10:00, and 10:00 to 15:00 .
After 17 minutes of using Dashcam, there will no longer be the video of the first 5 minutes of recording, at that point there will still be a video for times 05:00 to 10:00, 10:00 to 15:00, and the third video will now have minutes 15:00 to 17:00.
When you manage to record a collision or other interesting event on the road, of which you want to have a permanent copy of the video, just use any file manager app and copy the recorded video file from
DCIM/SygicDashcam/ to any other folder, before it gets overwritten by further Dashcam recordings.
Settings for Dashcam
Inside the Sygic app's menu → Settings → Dashcam, you can setup a few different options for Dashcam:
- choose the quality/resolution of the recording, which will affect the storage size of the video file
- set the video duration between 2, 5, 10, or 15 minutes
- the feature of automatically saving the video in case of a car crash, which is evaluated based on sensors of the phone/tablet
- the recording of sound along with the video
- one tap recording - to begin recording as soon as the Dashcam button is pressed in the quick menu, without having to go through the video preview screen
- automatic recording - begins recording when your speed exceeds 15km/h
- autofocus - most cameras will not have focus issues while this is disabled, but if you do experience blurred video recordings then try enabling this option
Can I save the videos from Dashcam onto the SD card?
The recorded video files are stored in internal memory by default, and this cannot be changed. You can manually copy/move these video files to your SD card, from the
DCIM/SygicDashcam/ folder in internal memory where you will find them.
Will Dashcam record if I receive or make a phone call, or use another app?
The operating system does not allow video recording to happen unless the app which is doing it is being used in the foreground. Therefore if Sygic is interrupted by opening another app or accepting/making a phone call, the Dashcam recording will be interrupted. When you return the Sygic app to the foreground, recording will resume into a new video file.
- Dashcam does not work with externally connected cameras (like head units in cars)
- Dashcam cannot be used at the same time as the Real View feature