Can Sygic really be used for navigation without any internet/mobile data?
Sygic continues to be the most advanced offline navigation app, with maps of entire countries being stored in the user's device, and a wide variety of navigation features from which most can be used offline, without using any internet data at all.
Here is a list of actions and features in Sygic, which do require an internet connection. Everything else that you don’t see here, will work offline.
- Downloading maps or voices – downloading maps or additional voice packs
- Using Sygic Store/activating purchases – buying additional licenses, add-ons, or activating premium licenses purchased in the past
- Signing in to the app – the option to Sign in to the app can also be used to activate purchases add-on features
- Using Dropbox to backup and restore your app data – this feature is available in the app’s menu → Settings → Backup and Restore
These first four instances when you need an internet connection, can be done while you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network at home or another place. Under normal circumstances you will not need to do them while you are out on the road, travelling and navigating.
The other five that are listed below, are features that get used most often while you are on the road, so for these you would need to have mobile internet data turned on while you are navigating:
- Traffic – information about traffic jams and road closures is loaded into the app from a live, online database, and refreshed every few minutes
- Fuel prices/parking prices – in countries where this price data is available, it will only be loaded and shown in the gas station and parking lot details when an internet connection is available
- Mobile speed cameras – information about these is loaded from an online database
- Voice search - an internet connection may be required for voice input via microphone
- Charging in Electric Vehicle mode - if the charging and payment is being done through our app
Together, these last five features should use no more than a few megabytes of data per hour while our app is open.