A POI (Point of Interest) is a dataset containing GPS coordinates that represents interesting and important locations in navigation applications. The most popular POI categories are, for example, speed cameras, radars, accommodation locations, restaurants, petrol stations, parking lots, WiFi hotspots, attractions, etc. This way you can plan routes to POIs, or be warned by the app when passing by a POI.
Custom Points of Interest for Sygic GPS Navigation
What types of files can be imported into the Sygic app:
- POI database from Mobile Maps app or Sygic Drive (files with .upi extension)
- POI database from Sygic (files with .rupi extension)
- You can also download files in the compatible .upi format directly from POI Plaza
You can find instructions on how to convert .txt or .csv files to compatible .upi / .rupi format in the POI Convertor section.
Note: To display the POI on the map in the application you need to import a corresponding icon (a .bmp picture) along with the POI (.upi/.rupi file).
File requirements for import:
- Both .rupi and .upi must be separate for each country. You cannot use multiple country POIs in one .rupi or .upi file.
- Extensions .rupi, .upi and .bmp must be lowercase
- The name of the icon (.bmp file) and of the POI (.upi/.rupi files) must be the same e.g UK-Pharmacy.upi, UK-Pharmacy.bmp
- The name of the POI (.upi/.rupi) will be displayed as the name of the POI category in Sygic navigation. So UK-Pharmacy.upi will appear in Sygic navigation in category UK-Pharmacy
- The icon (.bmp file) should be in a square format e.g. 100x100 px. If the icon is too big or too small, it will be adjusted automatically by the app.
- The icon should be either 8 bit or 32 bit bmp format.
- If you import multiple POIs at the same time, they must have at least 7 different characters in their name, otherwise the application may not display them correctly.
Import POIs on iPhone / iPad (iOS)
- Launch iTunes on your Mac/PC. Connect your iPhone/iPad to your Mac/PC.
- Click on your iPhone/iPad and go to the Apps tab.
- Choose Sygic in "File Sharing".
- Drag and drop .upi/.rupi and .bmp files directly into Sygic.
Do not drag and drop folders.
- Sync your iPhone / iPad with iTunes.
- If Sygic is running on your iPhone/iPad, close it.
- Launch Sygic on your iPhone/iPad.
- A dialog for import of custom POI will open and your are done.
Import POIs on Android smartphones
- Copy .upi/.rupi and .bmp files directly into Sygic/Maps/import. Do not copy folders. If you don't have an import folder then create it.
Please note that points of interest must be imported for each country separately.
- Launch Sygic GPS navigation.
- A wizard for import of custom POI will open after launch.
- The convertor supports ASCII, UTF8 and UNICODE format.
- For each POI the parameters must be arranged in the following order:
longitude | latitude | name | address | phone | fax | web | email | short description | long description
- First 3 parameters are required (longitude, latitude, name)
- It is not necessary to include all parameters
- You may drop out certain parameters (except for the mandatory parameters longitude, latitude and name)
but you need to include an empty space for each parameter that you drop out
To import text files (files with .txt extension)
-The delimiter specified in the first line of the TXT file should be "|"
-0.075771|51.332663|Esso petrol station|Greater London
-0.075771|51.332663|Esso petrol station|Greater London, Addington Rd, Bromley
-0.075771|51.332663|Esso petrol station|Greater London, Addington Rd, Bromleyemail@example.com
To import .csv files
-The delimiter specified in the first line of the TXT file should be ","
To specify the delimiter
- Open .csv in Excel
- Insert new row and write “delimiter=,”
- Save as “CSV (comma delimited)”
-0.075771,51.332663,Esso petrol station,Greater London
The .txt and .csv files must have at least 2 entries in them, or the import into our application will result in an error.
- Download the convertor from here.
- Launch the convertor on your PC.
- Click Browse Files to browse the directiories. Convertor will automatically search the directory in which is placed.
- Select .txt files that you want to convert.
- Run the conversion to convert the files to RUPI format. Sygic GPS navigation is able to process .upi and .rupi format, so there is no need to convert .upi to .rupi format.